There are a lot of facts about Christmas who are well known among the public. Here below you can find some unusual, less known facts about Christmas.
- We all know that Santa Claus comes from Lapland in Finland. But did you know about his Finnish name “Joulupukki”? His little elves are called “Joulutonttu”.
- It’s well known that Santa Claus has 9 reindeer. Rudolf the reindeer with his typical red nose is the most famous one. But how can those deer fly? The answer: “flydust”! Santa Claus gives his reindeer flydust two weeks before Christmas.
- People from Iceland have very peculiar Christmas stables: they are full of trolls! It’s commonly believed in Iceland that trolls deliver gifts during Christmas.
- Did you know that in certain periods of history it was prohibited to have Christmas trees? Charlemagne for example prohibited it in the 9th century.
- Most Christmas trees in Europe come from Scandinavia and the Arden in South Belgium.